Thursday, April 24, 2014

April 24, 2014

April 24, 2014
Dear Friends and Family,
No, I didn`t feel the earthquake; but there have been a couple of little shakes here and there.
My sector isn´t anywhere near the fires, but as you can see we went to help.  It was very impacting.  We were there helping yesterday but the fires started up again due to the wind so they made us leave.

[At least 12 people are dead and more than 2,000 homes have been destroyed by a large fire that wreaked havoc over the weekend in Valparaiso, Chile. Some 10,000 people have been forced to evacuate parts of the port city.  The fire has been driven by strong winds, and efforts to fight the flames also have been complicated by the area's steep terrain and lack of essential infrastructure, as NPR's Lourdes Garcia-Navarro reports for our Newscast unit. She adds:
"This is a city built on steep hillsides — the houses are made of wood, the streets are narrow. There are no fire hydrants, and entire communities lack water connections.
"To contain the blaze, some 20 helicopters have been dumping water on the fires. But in some areas, fire crews have been able to do little other than watch buildings burn and hope the flames don't spread farther.
"The blaze began on Saturday in a forested ravine and has spread quickly — destroying whole areas and pushed on by hot winds. Schools in the city are closed today as many are overflowing with evacuees.
"President Michelle Bachelet is calling this a tremendous tragedy and possibly the worst fire in the city's history."]

The only thing about the doomsday stuff is that it only comes when the people are ripened for destruction.... :P
Yes, it was a wart that they removed.  It's healing well. I think... :P I've got another doctors appointment in 10 days to check up on it.
About the BYU schedule, I think I´ll play with it when I get back, for now keep it how it is.
I don´t really write much now because not a lot happens in the week... or I should say nothing really surprises me anymore; so I feel like I don´t have anything to write about when Monday comes around :P
Make sure you talk to Francisco when you see him.
How is Janessa Burk?  Seminary started for the kids in Chile, so it made me remember that I gave her a ride to seminary every morning.
I love you :)


Pictures of the fire in Valparaiso, Chile






No comments:

Post a Comment